Finishing Like A Pro with Tim Puro July 9-13
$795 Tuition + $65 materials
- Key Points:
- *How to properly sand and learning when to stop
- *Mastering a brush for shellac and water based finishes
- *Creating multi-step finishes to make your work stand out from other woodworkers
- *How to make quick, significant finish samples that will increase your success rate
- *Introduction to color matching
- *Learn to read the back of a stain, dye, or finish can
- *Using aerosol cans as a serious finishing tool
- *Rubbing out the finish – creating finishes clients want to touch
There is a $45 annual registration fee that will be added to your the total amount of the class if this is the first class you are registering for this season.
This five day class teaches the finishing system Tim uses in his small furniture repair and restoration shop using faster curing/faster drying finishes and materials. Professional finishing results don’t require a spray booth and a $1,000 spray gun. Tim creates professional looking finishes using simple tools such as brushes, rags and aerosol cans. The class will start with an overview of the vocabulary of a professional finisher by describing how dyes, stains, glaze and toners work together to create rich colors. Tim will show ways to manipulate the faster drying finishes used in professional shops such as lacquer, shellac and water based finishes. Samples include the process for creating a Stickley/Arts & Crafts finish, a warm brown walnut finish, white wash finishes, an antique mahogany finish, and how to create a uniform cherry finish often found in production cabinets and furniture. Students will create eleven sample boards that will be the start of a well-planned finishing sample library. In addition students will learn a system for finishing exterior doors and Tim will demonstrate a few touch-up and spot repair techniques to help you address the inevitable dings, dents and scratches your furniture will suffer over time. By the end of the class, students will become more confident in their finishing ability by understand the art and science that is wood finishing. Students who choose to bring a project will need to contact Tim before the start of the workshop.