Turning Bowls & Platters with Glenn Lucas October 22-26
$795 Tuition + $50 materials
- Key Points:
- *Wood selection and conversion
- *Tool selection
- *Push and shear cuts for the ultimate tool finish
- *Shear scraping techniques
- *Sharpening jig use made easy
- *Creating tool grinds to suit your needs
- *Design and form
- *Proper chucking techniques – getting the ultimate grip
- *Finishing techniques for utility and art pieces
- *Air and kiln drying techniques
There is a $45 annual registration fee that will be added to your the total amount of the class if this is the first class you are registering for this season.
Students will start the week by getting their tools sharpened and shaped to meet Glenn’s requirements for the class. He will help you establish a simple repeatable sharpening process using the most common sharpening systems on the market. This practical course will take a look at using your local hardwoods and creating wonderful utility bowls and platters for your dining table. The first step is to decide how to cut up the log to yield the maximum amount of pieces which will be free from defects and have the most appealing grain pattern. Students will also learn how to make natural and square edged bowls. Glenn’s enthusiasm and knowledge, from many years as a production turner and teacher, will benefit all levels of woodturners. The skills learned in this class will help you tackle many projects at the lathe.